Shift all of your advertising spend into social media now!

For most brands shifting all your advertising spend into social media is the stupidest thing you could do right now, but it is what many so called “social media experts” will have you believe.

Yes social media is becoming increasingly important, and yes it should be part of your media mix, but by no means is it is the be all and end all of marketing channels.

I think this viral video by Swedish newspaper Dagens Industri sums the issue up nicely…but be sure to watch it to the end!

Like this article?

Please make a donation to help keep this site ad-free.

Tags: , ,

Categories: Advertising, Digital Marketing, International Marketing, Marketing Strategy, Multi Channel Marketing, Social Media, Viral Marketing


Follow Innovate or Die to be notified of innovator news and interviews

One Comment on “Shift all of your advertising spend into social media now!”

  1. May 24, 2010 at 9:50 am #

    My oh my, let’s not start a name-calling discussion, shall we? I invite you to behave like children who play nice; what do you say? 🙂

    Chris – cool video. Loved it! Shows what happens when the brand becomes more important than the product/service it’s trying to sell. Wasn’t that just awesome? I am not sure that the print campaign was a better alternative though… the world would have been deprived of an exciting, connected and wholesome experience. But hey, that’s not what we’re in this world for, is it? We’re here to SELL GADGETS! Stop daydreaming, get back on your box, and don’t ever forget you are a cog in the machine!

    Jennifer – The problem with ROI based marketing is that most of the time it only accounts for the short-term tangible benefits. A really good ROI based marketer will also account for the long-term benefits, but you see, as a branding guru, your job is to work on the INTANGIBLES as well as in the tangibles. I have worked in Direct Media at least half of my professional life, and LOVE the immediate feedback you get. It allows you to learn from mistakes and get better at it. But….. it forgets so many impiortant, intangible principles of marketing. Like the fact that although your Direct marketing campaign may be a profitable on the surface (yes, that 2% of sales more than covered the costs of creating and shipping the campaign and our gadgets), it totally destroyed your most important asset for the other 98% of prospects: your credibility as someone who communicates relevant, timely, contextually-smart and personal offers to those who do not yet buy from you. Oh, wait, you can’t do that with Direct marketing as we know it? You see, you CAN do that with social media. Social media is a CONVERSATION, which means you get to KNOW the other person (if you’re listening, not just broadcasting). With the advent of new technologies on Social Customer Relationship Management (SCRM), companies will be able to build the assets of reputation and permission, and grow their markets in unprecedented ways. But of course, that will be true only for the very few who are willing to accept the world HAS changed. The king is dead. Long live the king!

    All – Am I a crazy Colombian who has been drinking his own Kool-aid for too long? I invite you to continue this conversation at Chris’ blog ( or at mine ( Oh, what the hell, join at Linkedin as well 🙂

%d bloggers like this: